|Come one, come all!|
It's been a long-time-coming, but Roxborough is about to host an event that has the potential to become a fun-filled, annual tradition.
For years, Roxborough's NW Philadelphia neighbors have hosted their own annual, successful events:
- Manayunk has the Arts Festival, recognition for the newly minted Philly Cycling Classic, Restaurant Week, and multiple Streat Food Festivals.
- Chestnut Hill has the Home & Garden Festival, Fall for the Arts, Stag & Doe Nights, and the Harry Potter Festival.
- Mt Airy hosts Street Fare, Finally Friday, and the likes of Philly's now-famous Night Market.
What about Roxborough? Yeah, what about Roxborough.
Roxborough is a large neighborhood with beautiful surroundings and parks, it has an active Main Street (Ridge Ave) with lots of local businesses, it has tons of involved residents (e.g. non-profits, countless neighborhood groups, active religious organizations, etc.), and it's also the neighborhood I call home. If I had to guess (from the perspective of someone who has only lived here for the past 12 years), the reason Roxborough does not have many large festivals is because all of our neighbors already have so many; and good ones at that.
Now don't get me wrong, there are a few annual community events already taking place in Roxborough: Gorgas Park Harvest Festival and Rock'n-the-Ridge Car Show. But what this neighborhood has been missing is a signature event for the entire community, as well as for the communities around us; and dare I say it, even for people who don't live in the Philadelphia area. An event that has lots of food, activities for kids, and live entertainment all-in-one.
Welcome to Roxtoberfest!
The Roxborough Development Corporation, in partnership with Advent (a local, Roxborough company that specializes in advertising, events, and entertainment), has put together an event that is expected to exceed over 1,000 attendees. My personal guess is that there will be even more people than that.
Here is a brief rundown of what will be happening at Roxtoberfest:
- More than 50 local/regional/national/international businesses
- Live music from multiple entertainers/bands
- Kid-friendly options such as face painting, moon-bounces, and much more
- The Roxtoberfest Beer Garden with both craft and domestic options
- Philadelphia-based food trucks, as well as other local food vendors
- Free admission to all who attend
Wow! Not bad for Roxborough's first shot at a signature event.
The only way for you to find out how awesome this event will be, is to stop by and see it for yourself. So come on by, bring the kids, and help us turn this first-timer into an annual tradition; oh, and grab a beer and brat while you're at it.
I look forward to seeing you all there!
Saturday, October 5th | 12PM - 6PM
Lyceum Ave, Top Block | Between Ridge Ave & Mitchell St (across from Bob's Diner)
Rain Date: Sunday, October 6th | 12PM - 6PM